“What, do you imagine that I would take so much trouble and so much pleasure in writing, do you think that I would keep so persistently to my task, if I were not preparing - with a rather shaky hand - a labyrinth into which I can venture, in which I can move my discourse, opening up underground passages, forcing it to go far from itself, finding overhangs that reduce and deform its itinerary, in which I can lose myself and appear at last to eyes that I will never have to meet again.
I am no doubt not the only one who writes in order to have no face. Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same: leave it to our bureaucrats and our police to see that our papers are in order. At least spare us their morality when we write.” –Michel Foucault

Aug 14, 2015

Intuition

Jung believed that intuition was a sense, a way of gathering information about reality just as important as sight. Intuition might also be called insight and defined as grasping the  significance of what you see based on a web of feelings and associations that makes that significance personal. This web acts as a code which gets us from what we see (signifier) to what this experience means (signified). One has to be in touch with one's feelings and lack any significant degree of denial in relationship to previous life experience to trust intuition as a guide to behavior. I often respond to situations out of what I know without being able to explain how I know or even what exactly I know with any clarity. This works out well for me more times than not. I often make decisions that are intuitively "right" for me without being able to articulate a motive that would justify those decisions as being "right" in any other sense. I can, however, often explain the motives behind those decisions in hind-sight from where making those decisions took me. I almost never know where I am going or why until I get there. People in denial also only know where they are and how they got there after the fact and keep returning to that place over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what are YOUR words?